Aunty Donna's Big Ol' House of Fun Review

Warning: Spoilers ahead

In this review I will be discussing what happened in the series and what I enjoyed about it, so obviously there will be spoilers, you have been warned twice.

Image obtained from Netflix


The concept

Aunty Donna is an Australian YouTube channel that makes comedy skits, sometimes based off of observational humour and other times, complete and utter silliness. If you enjoy slapstick comedy or commentary on film making, it's one of the very many reasons you should watch this show.

The cast has a lot of fun, while putting a lot of thought and effort into their craft. They have a couple of scenes where they play out or sing about random every day things. So if you are tired of watching everyday boring cookie cutter shows, then switch it up for something that explores ideas by thinking completely out of the box.

My thoughts

First of all, I can't think of anything specific that I would need to critique, due to the fact that the show is broken down into little skits. I initially considered writing up a review for each episode, but I would essentially be revealing all of their skits and that takes some of the fun out of it. 
 
I have seen a massive split between people either enjoying the show or hating it and I think it comes down to personality and taste.

The show is very meme-y and my husband and I have already started using their catch phrases in our day to day lives. I would recommend watching this around new years, when you have some time to just be silly and feel silly.

My favourite thing about them is their unexpected shots and direction that they take, that surprise is where the comedy is gold. I love how they mock movie or series tropes and I think that is another big reason to watch them; after having watched so many movies during lockdown periods, you tend to burn out on cookie cutter plots and patterns become extremely apparent to you, it feels great to know you're not alone with your thoughts there.

To the people that watched their show, I would highly recommend watching all their YouTube content, it is great that they have used different forms of media to make themselves popular.

I hope they continue to improve and build on their comedy, they could make the next "airplane" if they aimed for it. I think they are a very unique and exciting group of people that have reminded me that pure silliness is good for the soul.


To my readers,

 Please support this YouTuber in getting her channel started up!


 

I just want to make one final distinction that bringing a script to life is a difficult task that directors have to do and we shouldn't forget how much effort they put into making their vision a reality. Some things are easier to notice in hindsight and because of that there will always be room for improvement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bumblebee Movie Re-script

Arkansas Movie Re-Script